How to get to Pécs ?
Pécs is located in the southern part of Hungary, close to the Coratian border. it is the 5th largest city of the country. The closest airport is in Budapest which is a 2,5 hour drive from Pécs.
We advise you to travel to Budapest by flight. After receiving your flight details we will arrange you an airport shuttle that will take you from the airport of Budapest directly to the Residence Hall of the University in Pécs. This is the most convenient way of travelling to Pécs from the airport. The cost of the airport shuttle is included in the Summer School porgram fee.
What are the prices in Pécs like? How much money do I need to take?
The costs of a stay in Hungary have generally been considered low by European standards.
Here is a list of essentials to get an idea of prices:
- a meal in the university canteen: HUF 600-1,000 ≈ USD 2-3
- a meal in a restaurant: HUF 1,200-4,000 ≈ USD 4 - 13
- one litre of milk: HUF 200 ≈ USD 0,7
- one bottle of beer: HUF 250-450 ≈ USD 0,8 - 15
- one bottle of red table wine: HUF 600-1,500 ≈ USD 2 - 5
- one litre of bottled water: HUF 100–150 ≈ USD 3 - 5
- one loaf of bread: HUF 200 ≈ USD 0,7
- a monthly bus pass for students: HUF 3,300 ≈ USD 11
- a single ticket (bus): HUF 280 ≈ USD 0,9
- a one-way train ticket to Budapest with a student discount: HUF 2,635 ≈ USD 7
- a taxi ride within city limits: HUF 900-1,500 ≈ USD 3 – 5 (depending on the distance)
- entrance fee for a party: HUF 0-1000 ≈ USD 0 - 3
- a cinema ticket: HUF 700 – 1,400 ≈ EUR 2,5 – 3,5
- a theatre ticket: HUF 1,000-2,500 ≈ USD 3.5-8.5
- swimming pool: The Pollack Swimming Pool is free for the students of the University, other swimming pools: HUF 800-2200 ≈ USD 2.7-7.4
The Hungarian currency is called Forint (HUF, or locally Ft). Forint bills come in 20,000, 10,000, 5,000, 2,000, 1,000, 500 HUF notes, coins are 200, 100, 50, 20, 10, 5 HUF. Credit cards (Visa, Mastercard, American Express) are usually accepted in malls, city centre restaurants and shops. Always check doors for logos of the credit card companies that are accepted in a particular shop. ATMs (cash machines) are widely available.